Happy New Year’s Eve!!!!
Without sounding cliche, but I know that I will, I cannot believe that today is the last day of 2014. It’s been a great year, full of beautiful people, places, and reminders to be ever grateful. I will post more about my reflections of 2014 and how I am looking into 2015 as the year of discovery and creativity, but today I want to share a few DIY/crafting projects that I started yesterday and finished up this morning.
Per Pinterest, I made a goal of completing two crafting projects:
1. A modge podge framed initial
2. A display board/wall adornment for my Washi tape.
What I would need to complete these projects:
- Old frames
- Black spray paint
- A letter F
- Faded, worn classic books
- Modge Podge
- Thumb Tacks
On our way home from watching “The Hobbit” 3D and lunch at Bento, my husband and I stopped at a second-hand store and picked up two frames for my DIY projects:
I chose them because they were cute and cheap
just like me.
Once I setup a drop cloth over some cardboard boxes, I spray painted both frames flat black.
While the frames dried, I went into my craft room and started searching through my $3.00 book collection for excerpts that I wanted to feature in my project. I loved the look of the Faust and Candide copies, but I definitely had five lines from Hamlet.
“Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.” (Act I, Scene III)
“This above all: to thine own self be true.” (Act I, Scene III)
“Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.” (Act I, Scene IV)
“To be, or not to be: that is the question.” (Act III, Scene I)
“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” (Act III, Scene II)
The next day (today) I began to piece the background together. This was my first time using Modge Podge, and I think it turned out quite well. I used a sponge brush to apply the Modge Podge, and I used the cardboard backing of the frame that came with it as the canvas. I allowed the pages to overhang the edges, and afterwards trimmed the dried pieces down to size. Using multi purpose, tacky glue, I affixed the letter F to the center of the piece and placed it back in the dried frame.
I was so pleased with my finished piece, I didn’t want to stop! Looking around my craft room for another
victim blank canvas to work on, my eyes landed upon the second tray I had refurbished over the summer.
Later today I will be working on my Washi tape display area. Updates to come!